Barely 24 hours before we completed GW21, we are already setting up squad for GW22 New Year fixtures. This is the first double game week of the season with Spurs and West Ham in action twice this week after having not played in the last gameweek. This is also the first game week for the year 2018 and we will like to wish all our readers a very Happy New Year! With all the rotation that has taken place and the short time span from the last round of fixtures, the age old advice of checking your squad before kick-off is to be heeded if you do not want to be surprised that your selections are not playing at all!
Goalkeepers are much less likely to be rotated so there are more safe options here
- Hugo Lloris (TOT) – An away game against the goal-shy Swans and a home game against West Ham does make Lloris probably the most attractive GK option this week.
- Kasper Schmeichel (LEI) – A bit of a left field choice, but Schmeichel impressed us with his multiple saves against a rampant Liverpool side despite losing the game. The Leicester player of the year in 2016 looks likely to pick up a clean sheet in their home game against the Terriers.
- Jan Vertonghen (TOT) – Probably the most likely of the back 4 to play both games given Pochettino’s knack of rotating his squad, he’s probably one of the must haves this game week.
- Ben Davies (TOT) – Amongst the Spurs full backs, he’s probably played the most so far this season, he looks likely to get at least a full game this game week and he’s always been good going forward when he plays.
- Marcos Alonso (CHE) – Will face a difficult Gunners side away from home, but Alonso has continued to be very consistent with his fantasy points delivery thus far.
- Nicolas Otamendi (MCI) – The Guardiola juggernaut does not seem like stopping anytime soon and it will be foolish to not take at least 1 Man City defender when they are playing at home.
- Aaron Cresswell (WHU) – Moye’s Hammers seem to have shored up their leaky defence in recent games and whilst a visit to Wembley does not seem easy, it is still going to be an intense London derby. Cresswell should be an interesting pick given his ability to go forward as well.
- Harry Maguire (LEI) – He has played every minute this season so far and has impressed for a resurgent Leicester squad. With 2 goals and 4 assists so far, he might be able to add on to his tally against the Terriers.
- Christian Eriksen (TOT) – Probably one of the most consistent and least likely to be rested Spurs midfielder, he’s one of my first name in my midfield this week.
- Son Heung Min (TOT) – When he’s good, he’s really explosive. In recent weeks, Son has actually gotten a lot more game time so i’ll expect him to get at least a game and a half this game week as well.
- Marko Arnautovic (WHU) – Has caught a rich vein of form with 5 goals in his last 5 games, he’s one of the most attractive West Ham players to be picked this game week.
- Leroy Sane (MCI) – With KDB out of action, Sane is our top pick from the City midfield pack.
- Eden Hazard (CHE) – He’s back! Rested for the stroll over the Potters, he should be raring to go to face the Gunners.
- Philippe Coutinho (LIV) – With Salah a doubt for the game, it’s hard to ignore taking 1 of the Red’s fab four even if it’s against a very disciplined Clarets side at Turf Moor.
- Harry Kane (TOT) – He’s been listed as a doubt with illness, but either way, we hope that he will be involved in at least 1 of the 2 games with the potential of being fully involved in both.
- Roberto Firmino (LIV) – 4 goals and 2 assists in his last 4 games, he’s probably the on-form Reds player at the moment besides Salah.
- Sergio Aguero (MCI) – A home game against Watford. Enough said.
- Wayne Rooney (EVE) – Probably more a fantasy than anything else, the Red Devils have struggled to score goals in recent games and it will be a dream if Rooney can score against his previous club in this return leg at Goodison Park after having lost horribly at Old Trafford the last time round.
Uncertain about your squad? Or maybe you would like your squad to be rated? Just post your provincial squad in the comments and The Titan will try his best to advice and answer all your queries.
You can also subscribe to our Newsletter via our website to receive weekly updates of our articles.
We also have a featured league in Togga Perfect XI – join us!