Team of the Week
Man City – They have won 10 of their last 11 games against Palace & kept Clean Sheets in 5 of the last 6. Expect them to do well, especially when Palace’s form is very poor.
- FOSTER, Ben (WBA) – I expect him to get a Clean Sheet against a Burnley team that is very poor away. And I don’t expect a Pulis team to carelessly concede set piece goals.
- STEKELENBURG, Maarten (EVE) – He might have conceded 5 against Chelsea last weekend but I expect Everton to be a different animal at home. Moreover, Swansea has been struggling badly of late.
- ALONSO, Marcos (CHE) – The first man in my defence this season. Even if Chelsea doesn’t keep a Clean Sheet, he’s capable of getting you points going forward. He’s the Fuchs of last season. To top it off, Boro has lost their last 6 games against Chelsea, failing to score in each of them.
- OTAMENDI, Nicolas (MCI) – Cos Man City is my team of the week. He doesn’t go forward that much but he racks up loads of defensive points even when he doesn’t get a Clean Sheet.
- Baines, Leighton (EVE) – He is back in the first team squad. I expect Everton to do well at home defensively. And his guy is one who’s not afraid to go forward. He’s also on set piece duty. If he doesn’t start, Coleman, Seamus would be my alternative for him.
- McAuley, Gareth (WBA) – Sure starter in the WBA lineup. Capable of getting himself a goal or two from set pieces. And Burnley are a hapless side when they play away. Need I say more?
- ROSE, Danny/ Walker, Kyle (TOT) – I’m indifferent between the two of them but would only pick one. Both men are quite equal on avg points scored and both are good going forward. Coincidentally, both provided an assist each in England’s last qualifier game! Spurs has conceded the least goals in the whole league this season. The two of them are also capable of getting attacking points. However, West Ham is capable of nicking a goal or two themselves, especially with Payet in the team. And it’s a London derby!
Spoilt for choices in midfield in this week so I’m gonna throw more picks into the hat here.
- DE BRYUNE, Kevin (MCI)– First midfield man in my team this season. Most of City’s great attacking play goes through him and he takes free kicks as well. And considering that Man City is my team of the week, he’s a must have!
- COUTINHO, Philippe (LIV) – The man is probably in the form of his life right now and Liverpool is ripping defences to shreds with him in the team. On top of that, he has scored 3 goals in his last 4 games at St Mary’s. Great hunting ground for him. Only thing is he’s rated at 75% for the game so keep a lookout!
- HAZARD, Eden (CHE)– The PFA player of the year 2 seasons ago is back to his best these days. And Chelsea are almost unstoppable in recent weeks, breathing down the neck of Liverpool. But again, he’s only rated at 75% for the game so the risks are there.
- PAYET, Dimitri (WHU)– West Ham might be hovering above the relegation zone but nothing stops this man. Even when West Ham loses, he still racks up the points.
- SILVA, David (MCI)– If you are keen to overload on Man City players, he might be a good choice. He has scored 3 goals in his last 3 games against Palace.
- Barkley, Ross (EVE)– He’s the points getter in Everton’s midfield. With a home game up against a Swansea side in disarray, you can expect him to rack up the points. However, this man blows hot and cold. Hope he goes on a rampage this weekend!
- ALLEN, Joe (STO)– Stoke’s form has picked up these days and it’s largely due to the form of this man. And he’s a points machine when he plays at home, with a minimum of 11.5 points to date when Stoke plays at the Britiannia Stadium.
- Chadli, Nacer (WBA)– Burnley can’t score when they play away AND they concede goals as well. Chadli has been a bright spark in WBA’s otherwise solid but uninventive midfield. He’s only rated at 75% but if he starts, expect him to do well.
- Eriksen, Christian (TOT)– If you are in the mood to gamble, this man is for you. He’s currently leading the table for most number of shots on goal without having scored. And he’s also only rated at 75%. A great choice for gamblers! (or a die-hard Spurs fan)
- LUKAKU, Romelu (EVE)– This man is full of goals, especially when he’s up against poorer teams like Swansea. He has 7 goals in the last 9 games. Expect him to pile on their misery.
- AGUERO, Sergio (MCI)– This man score goals for fun. Man City score goals for fun, especially away. They are the joint away top scorers. The only risk is that he might be rested having travelled & City has a midweek Champions League game coming up. However, note that he only played in 1 of those 2 qualifiers.
- KANE, Harry (TOT)– He might have just come back from injury but he has already scored in his comeback game last week against their arch rivals Arsenal. The top scorer of last season is raring to go. And Spurs usually does well with him leading the lines. Moreover, his usual goal drought period of September & October is over so expect him to start going strong again. Most importantly, you need to know that this man has scored 3 goals in 3 games against West Ham & 15 goals in his last 15 London derbies!
- ROONEY, Wayne (MUN)– With Zlatan suspended, you would expect this man to lead the line against the Gunners, if he’s passed fit that is. He might not be the Wayne Rooney of yesteryears but he’s still the man who has scored 14 goals in all competitions against Arsenal over the years. And his form seems to have picked up of late. He looks sharper and has provided 3 assists in his last 2 games for club and country.
Players I would stay away from
MANE, Sadio (LIV) – You can’t trust this man when Liverpool plays away. He’s a great player on the field but he simply doesn’t earn you the points in away games. Having been cheated by him on a few occasions, I’ve learned to pick him in home games and dump him in away games.