After 18 game weeks, Manchester City sit comfortably at the top of the Premier League, with plenty room to spare. Their dominance is already witnessed by many but here, we look at how their dominance of the league so far compares to other European leagues and to other teams in the history of the Premier League.
- Manchester City are 11 points clear after 18 games. Suffice to say, it be GW22 (1 Jan 2018) before Manchester United can mathematically leapfrog them to the top of the table. City will be the team leading the Premier League into 2018.
- City have a points average of 2.89 per league game. Their only blemish so far is a home draw to Everton in GW2 and they have won every league game since. This is the highest points average across the top 5 leagues in Europe. Paris Saint-Germain, however out of place in French Ligue 1, has only managed a points average of 2.61. Across in Spain, FC Barcelona have a points average of 2.63.
- They have scored 56 goals in 18 games, an average of 3.11 goals per game. That tally includes seven goals at home against Stoke City, six at Watford and five against a ten-men Liverpool team. PSG has managed one less in Ligue over the same number of games. In Spain, Barcelona has managed a “mere” 42 goals, in 16 games.
- Their goal difference is +44, translating to the fact that they had outscored their opponents in the Premier League at an average of +2.4 per game. Again, only PSG had come close- +41.
- The record number of wins in a Premier League season is 30, achieved by Chelsea in 2009-10. City has 20 more games to better that record. They will surpass 30 wins so long as they win 14 of those remaining games.
- The most number of goals scored in a season is 103, almost by the 2009-10 Chelsea team. City needs 47 goals in 20 games to surpass that. At their current goal ratio, City is projected to finish the season with 118 goals.
- Arsenal was the only unbeaten team in the Premier League and they achieved it in the 2001-02 season. City is widely backed to achieve that.
- The league goals for City are well-spread among the players – Raheem Sterling has 11, Sergio Aguero has 10 and Gabriel Jesus has 8. Both Kevin de Bruyne and Leroy Sane has 6. In the assist charts, de Bruyne, Sane and David Silva are topping the league with 8.
- City’s next four games are against Bournemouth, Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Watford. They do not play a current top four side until GW23 (15 Jan) when they visit Liverpool.
If you like what you read, don’t forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter or Instagram!
- Join our TITAN Classic league –> 122926-90616