With the winter transfer window now officially closed, it’s a good time to take a good look at the new players available and perhaps the possible resurgence of some of the old faces. Some of you might want to save your WildCard till later in the season but I believe that it’s a good time to use it now if you have quite abit of deadwood in your squad or to save your season.
My strategy this time round is to load up on value for money players so that you have more money left to play around with the big players and your weekly captain pick.
- Fabianski, Lukasz (SWA, 4.6m)– Cheap, makes a lot of saves, and Swansea seems to be doing better under their new manager now. Upcoming games look relatively easy too.
- Pope, Nick (BUR, 4.9m) – He would have been my first choice if not for the fact that Heaton might be back soon and he’s not guaranteed to keep his place. But I decided to go for him to free up more cash so that I can have both Aguero AND Kane on board. Woot!
- De Gea, David (MUN, 5.9m)– He’s expensive for a keeper but he’s good for a clean sheet almost every other game and he makes quite a number of saves too.
- Hennessey, Wayne (CRY, 4.3m) – If DDG or Pope doesn’t appeal to you, you can consider him too. He’s cheap and Palace are doing well under Hodgson.
- Jones, Phil (MUN, 5.7m)– With Mourinho at the helm, you can count on Man Utd to get clean sheets. At 5.7m, Jones is definitely a value buy.
- Hegazi, Ahmed (WBA, 4.6m)– WBA might be struggling but they still have a solid defence and are good at set pieces.
- Tarkowski, James (BUR, 4.7m) – Burnley are a solid team and always look good for the odd clean sheet. Next 3 games aren’t too tough.
- Van Dijk, Virgil (LIV, 5.5m) – The most expensive defender in the world should be an upgrade for Liverpool’s defence. It’s interesting to note that he has started 13 league games this season and has been involved in only 1 shut out. But with home games against West Ham and Newcastle coming up, he may be getting his first clean sheet in a Liverpool shirt very soon.
- Monreal , Nacho (ARS, 5.7m)– He’s one of the sure starters at a Top 6 club. At 5.7m, he’s relatively inexpensive. But he has 2 very difficult games coming up.
- Otamendi, Nicholas (MCI, 6.5m)– City might have bought Laporte for a club record fee but I don’t see Otamendi losing his place. Any team with over 70% possession in every game is sure to get clean sheets every now and then. But City have a few tricky games coming up soon.
- Maguire, Harry (LEI, 5.5m) – Leicester are a decent team at home and Maguire also loves to get forward and score goals. Already with 2 goals and 4 assists this season.
- Naughton, Kyle (SWA, 4.5m) – Swansea does pick up the odd clean sheet from time to time and he’s cheap at 4.5m. Upcoming games look relatively easy too.
- Gross, Pascal (BHA, 4.8m)– Whenever Brighton scores, you can count on him to be involved in it. At 4.8m, definitely one of the most value for money.
- Doucoure, Abdoulaye (WAT, 5.3m)– Different manager, same story. He’s still scoring goals and chipping in with assists. Already 7 goals and 3 assists this season.
- Salah, Mohamad (LIV, 10.3m)– He’s getting expensive now but you really can’t do without him. He’s head to head with Harry Kane for the golden boot this season.
- Sterling, Raheem (MCI, 9.0m)– Sterling has been a shoo in for Man City this season and with Sane out, there’s even less chance that he will be dropped.
- Milivojevic, Luka (CRY, 4.7m)– Penalty taker for Palace. Already has 6 goals to his name this season. But tough games against Spurs and Man Utd are coming up.
- Fernandinho (MCI, 5.1m)– One of the first names on Pep’s team sheet. He might be a DM but he already has 3 goals and 4 assists to his name this season. But taking him would mane giving up a precious slot for another City player.
- Choupo–Moting (STK, 5.4m) – He comes cheap and already has 4 goals and 5 assists to his name.
- Shaqiri, Xherdan (STK, 6.1m) – Set piece taker and the creative force for Stoke.
- Gudmundsson, Johann (BUR, 5.0m) – Set piece taker for Burnley. Good for assists and the odd goal.
- Mkhitaryan, Henrikh (ARS, 7.8m) – He looks a different monster after his move to Arsenal. Snap him up before he starts getting too expensive.
- Walcott, Theo (EVE, 7.3m) – I believe his resurgence will continue at Everton and he’s still cheap at 7.3m now.
- Deulofeu, Gerard (WAT, 6.0m) – Keep watch on this man. I expect his good form to continue.
- Jordan Ayew (SWA, 5.3m)– After a change in manager, Swansea is starting to score again and the man is getting a goal every other game now.
- Kane, Harry (TOT, 12.8m)– It’s really hard to overlook the Premier League top scorer.
- Aguero, Sergio (MCI, 11.9m)– With Jesus out for the moment, there is almost no chance he will be dropped.
- Firmino, Roberto (LIV, 9.2m)– Almost guaranteed to start these days and he’s relatively cheap.
- Aubameyang, Pierre-Emerick (ARS, 10.5m) – Comes with a big reputation and is a proven goalscorer. Not to mention he has already opened his account for his new club.
- Giroud, Olivier (CHE, 8.2m) – 8.2m for a leading striker at a Top 6 club is definitely a good bargain. With Conte having preference for a big man up front, I wouldn’t be surprised if he starts as the front man with Morata playing a supporting role once he’s regain his match sharpness.
Squad assembled with a budget of 99.8m. If you are short of this budget, feel free to swap for other players with my other listed players above.
Feel free to post your comments below. You can send in your squad and ask for feedback. We would even welcome anyone who thinks they are good enough to challenge us.