This week’s article is brought to you by FF Physio and it’s all about stats. I’ll bring you the eye-catching figures for this week’s fixtures and you can decide for yourself how to make the best use of them.
- Liverpool – Brighton
- Huddersfield – Cardiff
- Manchester Utd – Tottenham
- Arsenal – West Ham
- Bournemouth – Everton
- Watford – Crystal Palace
- Fulham – Burnley
- Newcastle – Chelsea
- Southampton – Leicester
- Wolverhampton – Manchester City
Liverpool – Brighton
- Liverpool scored an average of 2.4 goals at home in the league last season and conceded an average of 0.5.
- On the other hand, Brighton only scored an average of 0.5 goals away.
- The Reds scored 9 & conceded 1 in the 2 games against The Seagulls last season
- Salah scored 1 goal and assisted another in the home game last season
- Robertson scored 1 goal and assisted another in the home game last season.
- Prediction: 3-0
Huddersfield – Cardiff
- Huddersfield were both the joint lowest scorers and the joint lowest scoreres at home in the league last season.
- The Terriers have failed to win the last 8 games against The Bluebirds although all of them have been in the Championship. (2D6L).
- The Terriers have failed to score in 3 of the last 4 home league games against the same opposition.
- The Bluebirds have scored 6 goals in the last 2 away games at the John Smith’s Stadium.
- Prediction: 0-0
Manchester Utd – Tottenham
- Man Utd had the best home defence in the league last season, letting in a meagre 9 goals.
- The Red Devils have won 8 of the last 10 home games against Spurs (8W2L).
- They have kept Clean Sheets in 6 of these games.
- Spurs have failed to score at Old Trafford in the last 384 minutes of league football.
- Key player returning: Alexis Sanchez (Man Utd)
- Prediction: 1-0
Arsenal – West Ham
- Arsenal had the 2nd best attack at home last season, scoring an average of 2.8 goals.
- West Ham had the joint worst defence in the league last season, conceding an average of 2.2 goals.
- The Gunners have won 8 of their last 10 home games against The Hammers. (8W1D1L)
- The Hammers have conceded at least 3 goals in 5 of the last 6 of these games.
- Lacazette scored 2 goals in last season’s 4-1 home win.
- Ozil has 3 goals and 2 assists in his last 4 starts against The Hammers.
- Mkhitaryan has 2 assists in his last home game against The Hammers, albeit in a 4-0 win in the colours of Man Utd.
- Ramsey has 2 goals and 2 assists in his last 3 starts against The Hammers, all at home.
- Prediction: 4-1
Bournemouth – Everton
- Bournemouth’s home games averaged 2.9 goals last season while Everton’s away games average 2.7 goals.
- Since making their return to the top flight 3 years ago, The Cherries played The Toffees 3 times at The Vitality Stadium, winning 2 and drawing the other.
- 5 of the last 6 league games between the sides have been by 3 goal or more, with an average of 4.2 goals.
- Richarlison scored in his last away game against Bournemouth, in the colours of Watford.
- Prediction: 3-3
Watford – Crystal Palace
- The Hornets have failed to win the last 7 home league games against The Eagles, with the last 3 in the Premier League and the rest in the Championship. (4D3L)
- They have failed to score in 3 of the last 5 of in that run.
- Only 3 goals have been scored in the last 3 of these fixtures played at Vicarage Road.
- Prediction: 1-1
Fulham – Burnley
- Burnley only suffered 5 defeats on the road in the whole of last season, on par with Man Utd, Spurs, Liverpool. Only Man City could better that record with 1 away loss.
- However, they drew a joint second highest number of away games at 7.
- The 2 sides last met in the Championship 3 seasons ago, with Burnley doing the double over Fulham.
- The last time the 2 sides met at Craven Cottage in the top flight 9 seasons ago, The Cottagers ran out 3-0 winners against The Clarets.
- Prediction: 1-1
Newcastle – Chelsea
- Newcastle managed 8 home wins last season, a record only bettered by the top 6 and Everton.
- They also only let in 17 goals, a record bettered only by the top 5 and Burnley.
- Chelsea won the second joint most number of away games last season at 10.
- They managed to score 32 away goals last season, a record only bettered by Man C, Spurs and Liverpool.
- The Magpies have won 4 of their last 5 home games against The Blues, drawing the other.
- They have managed to score at least 2 goals against the same opponents in that same run.
- Ayoze Perez has 3 goals and 1 assist against Chelsea in his last 2 home games against them.
- Hazard has scored 6 league goals against Newcastle 9 games against them but none of them have come at St James’ Park.
- Giroud has scored 7 goals in the last 10 games against Newcastle but none in the last 4. However, he scored 3 goals in his last 3 starts at St James’ Park.
- Key player missing: Kenedy (Newcastle)
- Prediction: 2-2
Southampton – Leicester
- Southampton escaped relegation last season by the skin of the teeth and only managed 4 home wins.
- Leicester scored 31 away goals last season, a record which was better than Man Utd’s 30.
- However, they conceded 38 away goals, the second joint worst record in the league.
- Southampton’s home games averaged 2.4 goals last season while Leicester’s away games averaged 3.6 goals.
- The Saints have only won 2 of the last 4 home games against The Foxes in the top flight, but they managed to keep Clean Sheets in both of those wins. (2W2D1L)
- However, Leicester have failed to keep Clean Sheets in any of those games, conceding an average of 2 goals per game.
- Key player missing: Jamie Vardy (Leicester)
- Prediction: 2-2
Wolverhampton – Manchester City
- The reigning champions had the most potent attack and the meanest defence away from home last season.
- They averaged 1.8 away goals and let in an average of 0.8 goals.
- They won 16 of their 19 away games last season.
- In the last 4 games played at the Molineux Stadium between the 2 sides, both sides managed 2 wins apiece. But Wolves’ last win over The Citizens came 8 years ago.
- Prediction: 0-4
Feel free to post your comments below or challenge us. You can send in your squad and ask for feedback. We would even welcome anyone who thinks they are good enough to challenge us.